View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #54
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Awesome stuff Jenny!!

I knew there had to be a good reason why you chose not to do the Sertoes. Be sure to check out my RR thread underway on the Dos Sertões for tips & hints on my WR.

Living the Dos Sertões Dream

I think I found a couple of problems with that nav tower, and also watch those fuel lines from the RH tank!

I got the JVO rear thank - its HUGE. Are you doing the same or are you making up some auxilary tanks separately?

What kit is Craig Bounds using? Hopefully the same. Looking forward to seeing your prep for this.
Hey Neil - yes I've already been tucking into your report from Brazil, but will study it carefully!

As you say, it really wasn't feasible to do Dos Sertoes (and also Pharaoh's which I've had to forfeit this year) and Dakar in January... my bike is still essentially 'as new' after Tunisia (ok, so maybe I should have tried a bit harder eh?), so is ideal to take to the Dakar this year... it would be a lot more secondhand after another FIM round or two I imagine!

I'd hoped to have the bike back last weekend and some tasty photos/info for you all, but there is a slight delay on getting my tanks made - rather than go the route Neil did with the full JVO kit (beautiful as it is, and in an ideal world money wise etc etc), I have elected to try a bit of 'mass centralization' on the WR, and am having an aluminium tank fabricated that will fit in the recess under the front of the seat, between the twin 10 litre JVO tanks...

Pics to follow shortly I hope, but essentially there is enough space there for a 5 litre 'reserve' tank, which is the same volume I had using the Safari Tank on the rear fender that I used in Tunisia... Tamsin Jones only had 25 litres on her Dakar bike last year (15L front, 10L rear), so I reckon I'll be fine range-wise with 25 litres of fuel... and I can also take along the rear Safari Tank as an auxiliary should I feel the need for even more fuel on board!

I'm also having a pair of 1.5L water tanks made that will fit either side of the Flatland Racing 'enduro' bashplate I fitted after Tunisia (it was delayed in transit prior to Tunisia, due to that volcanic dust cloud - seems like an age away now doesn't it?!):

I really like the simplicity and compact nature of this plate, however, while I had the requisite 3L of water in a camel-bag between the JVO tanks in Tunisia (and my old XR650 bash-plate bodged on last minute!), I felt ultimately the space between the tanks would be better served for fuel, and so the natural place for the water is now down below...

Of course I could have bought something commercially available (although I'm not sure the Meca'system Aluminium rally tank for example would fit around the lower JVO tank brackets, and even if it did, it's €599!) and the natural choice would have been the carbon bashplate that JVO supply (still €400 btw, plus you need a pair of bladders). However, while I'm sure it has proved very robust (as I'm sure Neil can confirm), I still prefer to have a chunk of metal under my sump, so we'll see how it turns out!

Not sure what kit Craig is using - I met him briefly the other week (Tamsin was doing an 'evening with' talk as part of an organized weekend of trail-riding in Wales) and his plans were still slightly sketchy, although he confirmed he'd be on a WR this year...

Yep - It's going to get exciting real quick (if it isn't already eh?!)

J x

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 09-07-2010 at 01:37 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote