View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #55
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,173
In the meantime - this thread needs more pics!

The WR after returning from Tunisia earlier this year:

Still in good condition (never raced or rallied, ahem):

As you will be aware if you've read the "lastminuteracingdotcom" thread, I built this bike in barely two weeks, and had to make one or two compromises before shipping it off to Tunisia...

Ideally I'd have liked to have got the seat reshaped and recovered (it is bloody uncomfortable stock!), and as mentioned above, the Flatland Racing bashplate hadn't arrived in time so I bodged my old XR650 bashplate on for the Tunisia round (it actually fitted very well, with only a couple of cuts to fit around the lower tank support brackets, and new holes drilled for the mounting brackets that clip over the frame rails).

The rear Safari Tank worked well (except the mounting bolts came loose, and the tank 'changed shape' in the heat, making it tricky to reattach), and doesn't impede access to the airbox - however, should you have to raise the rear subframe (to get access to the shock and carb for example), then there is more unbolting to be done... by doing away with the rear tank and having that extra fuel up front, the rear of the bike should be just like the enduro, and easier to work on...

I've also repainted the fairing plain white (for the moment, depending on sponsors x), and have bought a new front fender (KTM Adventure type on a Meca'system bracket, like I fitted to the Tenere) as I find it offers more tyre clearance and is more stable, due to the second set of mounting brackets behind the fork.

I hope to have some photos of the bike/new tanks to upload in the next couple of days - I'm off to the USA for 'training'* these next couple of weeks, and when I return the final prep will begin in ernest!

Toot toot!

J x

* I say 'training', I mean looning around Moab on an XT225, then having another pop at the Rubicon Trail... oh yeah!
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote