Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #32
vincentone
Vincentone

Oddometer: 3
Clutch Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc
Vincetone,

Although this is a known issue, some shops haven't actually seen the problem. My '09 did the same thing. BMW put the wrong mineral oil in my bike so my dealer changed the master cylinder, slave cylinder and the hydraulic lines. With that done, they still bled the system five or six times before getting all the air out.

Make sure the dealership has done the brake line recall (just a repositioning of the line) and replaces the mineral oil. I think there is a bulletin out about the slave cylinder on the '09s. I'm going by my dealership today and will check.

Mike
Thanks Mike, my dealer did reposition the hydraulic line during the time of the first recommended service. I will be very interested to learn if there is a bulletin out on the 09 slave cylinder. I was surprised to see so many riders of the 09's had experienced the problem and then two prominent dealers; one in Kansas City and the other in Houston reported they had not heard of any problems. Do you know anymore about the correct mineral oil? The mineral oil can be purchased from a BMW dealer with the BMW logo on the bottle, but from your report it seems it may not be the correct fluid.
Thanks, John
vincentone is offline   Reply With Quote