View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
2009 R1200GS ADV clutch failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentone
Thanks Mike, my dealer did reposition the hydraulic line during the time of the first recommended service. I will be very interested to learn if there is a bulletin out on the 09 slave cylinder. I was surprised to see so many riders of the 09's had experienced the problem and then two prominent dealers; one in Kansas City and the other in Houston reported they had not heard of any problems. Do you know anymore about the correct mineral oil? The mineral oil can be purchased from a BMW dealer with the BMW logo on the bottle, but from your report it seems it may not be the correct fluid.
Thanks, John

John,

I was at Carolina Euro today and they were swamped. The service manager said, "Sure there was a bulletin on the slaves and the mineral oil." but he didn't look it up. My original fluid was clear and was replaced with a red-colored oil. If you look at the new bikes on the dealers floors, you'll see red oil. I was in Death Valley when I noticed the clutch getting a little "wimpy." The next day, it was pretty cool when I left and it was okay until I got to Phoenix and it started feeling soft again. By the time I got to Tucson that afternoon, I could pull it about half way in before I felt pressure. The next, it was still wimpy feeling and finally lost all pressure about 100 miles west of Las Cruses. I made it to El Paso and shut 'er down. By the time I got back to North Carolina three days later (bike in a trailer) the pressure was up a little but it was very evident something was wrong. I had called my dealer about the problem when I was en route from Texas and he had all the parts when I got there. After the repair, I've had no problems.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote