View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Back from socal yesterday......On with it we go......There are really two ways you can do this. You need to build the mold.......But the difference is.....One method..... You take the mold on and off fitting each piece.......and so forth.....You can then lay the mold on the table, and layup the composites...... That method is nice....because you can work at a workstation....sipping whatever you want. Main two drawbacks with that method is Mold is wobbly, and might shift during layup.....and as you design as you go along....one can loose track of how you want it to look.
The other way is simply to cover the bike sort of like when you paint a room.... Then you glue up each piece at a time......Mold stays on the bike during construction. Pluses are rigid mold, since you are using the bike as support.....Second.... It is easy to change design as you go along......Bad....could make a mess with drips on the bike, and the cloth could sag when you wet it in. I used the first method when I build the CF skid plate.... And the second method with the fairing. It just depends on what you would like..... Hmm....Tue. thur.`s....method one.....wed.....fri...`s....number 2.......
The you get the Styrofoam....Pick a point and begin.......

Note the foam being added to the left side...... Right ( picture) side still need to have foam added......

Then you cut corners......edges....sand to your liking......

There will always be voids in the foam...... You can fill it with what ever you can find...... Clay.....booger....Pilfer your kiddoes playdough..... Or I just happened to have some " clay epoxy" left....... Just fill in the gaps...

Then onto a few layers of release agent.......

Then use an old sheet of fabric.... to get the rough cut that you can use as a template cutting the carbon fiber.....

Then I only had enough CF for two layers........Waiting on ups on Tuesday.....

I mixed 228 grams of resin......(total weight).....And with the importance of getting the fabric right....... I would not recommend more than two layers at a time.....Well....at least in the hot desert.... as the setting time is reduced.
A few things to mention for your consideration...... The fairing you build......is your own idea. The design is your own, and therefore taste is often very different from person to person. Byt your high ehhhh...middle school sculpting days will be tested here...... If you can build a mold.....then the layup is really the easy part. Since I am sort of designing as I go along.....plastic screen in mind...... It is hard to imagine the final product until the end...... And one of the neat things with the composites......is you can always remove material......but it`s harder to add it. Keeping that in mind...... I made the fairing a little big...... And plan on cutting it to shape when I finish two more layers, and have time to play with the shields. It is a little wider than I would have liked......But I have no choice....since I have the dashboard widened with the gps layout.
Until Tuesday.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote