View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Along the Magruder Corridor and More...

Between the 1.2 million-acre Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness and the 2.3 million-acre Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness lies a road called the Magruder Corridor, a 101 mile primitive road, built by the CCC in the 1930’s. The two wildernesses make up the largest “unroaded area of land in the lower 48 states and are nearly twice as large as the combined states of Delaware and Rhode Island.”

It was this historic road that prompted our desire to ride it and even though we would only see a small portion of the vast wilderness area, the corridor was fascinating and filled with many points of interest. The Magruder wasn’t the only road out there however; we navigated our way south to Shoup on the Salmon River and onward along Panther Creek to Challis. We would split up at Challis and I would head back to Warm Lake via Bear Valley along the Landmark-Stanley road.

You know you had a memorable ride when you can’t get it out of your mind. I keep thinking about the great experiences I had on this short ride and I’m yearning for more! Riding 250 miles of dirt roads in 2 days, getting to know your riding buddies, meeting people along the way (not just meeting them, but getting to know who they are, where there from, etc.,) primitive camping (and camp cooking....a first for me!,) and challenging myself with Burnt Knob....and more!

Here are some starter photos for you.

At the top of Burnt Knob Lookout

In the Corridor

Along Panther Creek

Along Morgan Creek
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote