View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Our plan was to get to Elk City, get on the Magruder and camp when daylight fades.

From the left, I'm on the GS, Gary the KTM950, Becky a Suzuki350 and her husband Kelly on the KLR.

I’ve ridden north on 55 along the Payette River up to McCall so many times I must admit that I don’t take the time to re-shoot photos for every ride report, but you can see some of the scenery on my ride report below titled Idaho West Mountains - Payette River. Once past Riggins the trip really got started for me.

Just north of Riggins, crossing the Salmon River and into Pacific Time Zone.

We decided to take the old Whitebird grade to Grangeville instead of the 4-lane super highway. A couple of quick shots passing through Whitebird....

You can see the switchbacks lined with fence posts.

Looking back down toward Whitebird

At the top of the summit

Along the Mt. Idaho Road.

And along the Southfork of the Clearwater heading to Elk City.

I always wanted to ride this road and it was very scenic and twisty. barely saw this waterfall as I passed by doing 50, but a quick turnaround yielded this photo.

The Southfork of the Clearwater River

I had seen a photo of this rock outcropping before and kept my eyes open for it.

Here are my friends waiting for me up the rode.

I told you guys that I'd be stopping for photos along the way

So we made it to the Elk Creek Station for fuel before venturing into the Corridor. Kelly isn't so sure that the fuel is any good.

So he decides to put Diesel into Becky's bike.....just kidding.

Shall we get a few beers for camp tonight? You bet!

During our fill-up a couple of locals and their dog pull in and are waiting for us to finish up...

I think we're in the back country now. I strike up a conversation with them and they get out of the truck to look at the bikes. But they don't know what to think when I ask for their photo. This is the quintessential image of Elk City and the Idaho backcountry.

You can see on the far left of the map where Elk City is located. We would make camp for the night at Camp 2, Granite Springs Campground. Burnt Knob is No. 5, so we'd ride up there in the morning.

I'm ready for it!

But before we get on the Corridor, let's check out Elk City ....

Kodanja screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 01:59 PM
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote