View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr
So let me get this straight....
Your saying that a factory trained BMW tech with over 40 years experience and many many engines under his belt ( many race engines ) is wrong?
Wow, my world is rocked
Or did I just read you wrong?
You read me right. Cam specs are pre-rocker arm ratio. There is no need to multiply the lift at the lifter by the rocker arm ratio. That would get you valve lift specs, not cam specs. He probably just got it backwards in his head. It is easy to do when you are thinking and writing about cam specs.

Speaking as a factory trained BMW tech myself, everyone needs to remember that BMW service school has a 100% student graduation rate. Every time I have gone, it was made abundantly clear that if by some chance you didn't pass the tests, you could retake them until you did. I hope that tells you the same thing it tells me.

40 years? I am really NOT talking about any inmates here since I am new here and don't know much about most everyone; nevertheless, I know of quite a few people out in the real world that have been tearing stuff up for 40 years or longer. It's like a tradition with some people. I have even seen it handed down from one generation to the next. Having said that, some of my close friends might think that my dad handed down his BMW factory training to yours truly. Not so! But he was smart enough to know that all I had to do was show up on the coattails of any dealership and it would be a done deal.

I hope that didn't rock your world out of orbit! It's just common sense and common knowledge to me.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote