View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Further up the road we stopped at Dry Saddle.

Some of the scenery at the top of the summit

The deer are friendly up here, I think because of all the horse camping that starts from here at the Dry Saddle Trailhead.

We continue down the summit to Sabe Saddle

Here is a view back up toward Dry Saddle.

While stopped to check out a trailhead up to another lookout, an older couple who volunteer their time managing the corridor stopped to talk with us.

In several areas older burn sites line both sides of the road, ironically allowing a view through them to far off vistas. If the trees were still here, well, we'd see only trees.

This sign is located along side the road and indicates a 5 1/2 mile trail. We opted to stay on the road

The Magruder Crossing Bridge is the only place in the upper Selway drainage you can drive across the Selway River. The bridge was built in 1935. We stopped along the river and had lunch.

We reach the summit of the Nez Perce Pass on the border between Idaho and Montana.

Another couple coming from Missoula are there on a 1150GS and 650GS and we get our picture taken on the border.

Gary took us on a shortcut to Painted Rocks Lake along Rough Creek road and we came in on the upper end of the reservoir. The water was down exposing all the tree stumps.

A shot of the lake showing the paved road on the other side we would soon be on.

After a hundred miles, it felt good to lean into the twisties along the reservoir, but that would soon end.

We had hoped to make it to Shoup, but since we still had to traverse Horse Creek pass and all those switchbacks, there was not time to make it by dark, so Kelly found a nice spot off the road down by a creek to camp for the night.

Kelly builds the fire....of course.

Gary preparing a gourmet meal of pasta and shrimp with carrots and pea pods. Since he offered to share some, I put my dehydrated stew back in my bag. And Kelly...homemade spagetti

Later on Kelly and Becky prepare roasted marshmellows!

And we enjoy the evening until the fire burns out. I wish I had a beanie....
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote