View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,575
Day 8: Saturday, 4 September 2010

We got going a little late this morning, stopped for breakfast in Rocky Harbour, then stopped off at the Gros Morne National Park visitor's center for an updated weather forecast, as we had heard that Hurricane Earl was supposed to be hitting Newfoundland that evening. The forecast confirmed that Earl would be moving up the western coast of Newfoundland, with 60+mph winds expected. So we figured it would be a good idea to head east.

Back out in the parking lot, we ran into Alex from Ontario.

In the course of conversation, it emerged that he'd ridden over on the ferry with ADV inmates MZcountryboy and Goodolguzzi on their way to the Skibum Soiree. Funny, since I know MZcb and was wondering if I'd run into him myself at some point on the Rock.

We said goodbye to Alex and headed east with Twillingate in mind as a likely destination, but after an hour on Highway 1, we were really bored and stopped to take a break at an info center on the side of the road. As it happened, there was a harvest festival going on there, and a whole bunch of locals were milling about. We were given some advice about the area, and since we were feeling lazy and definitely didn't feel like spending too much more time on Highway 1, we opted to head up to the nearby town of King's Point and get a motel for the night to wait out Earl. Turned out to be a good decision.

We rode around the area a bit and checked out the high waterfall just north of town.

Then we rode back towards King's Point, which is situated on a long arm of the sea, forming an excellent natural harbor.

We stopped off at the By the Sea Cafe, and Roman couldn't resist the poutine.

The cafe partially sits on a pier; this is the view from the back porch. Highly recommended -- super-nice staff, good food.

It started raining around 8:30 as Earl approached, and we turned in early.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote