View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
markbvt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,636
Day 12: Wednesday, 8 September 2010

It turned out this campground had Wifi, so on our way out I checked the weather forecast. Turned out the weather was looking crappy over the entire Gaspé peninsula for the next few days, while Maine was looking pretty good, so we changed our plans -- we'd head west to Maine and ride along the coast.

Unfortunately, we didn't ride far before we hit the rain. Rain gear on, Flogging Molly piping into my ears, we slabbed it to Moncton (where we emerged from the rain) and over to Fundy National Park.

Unfortunately, the rain restarted as we rode through the park, and kept up past Saint John. We eventually gave up on this day and stopped at New River Beach Provincial Park to camp.

The rain petered out, but the fog we'd ridden into about 20 miles back didn't.

Apparently the weather here is like this a lot, because the ground was covered with a thick coat of moss.

We built a campfire and were soon invited to drink some traditional chai (similar to very strong tea) at the campsite across the way, inhabited by a very tall R1200GSA rider. Not many people make me feel short at 6'4", but this dude was 6'9". Turned out he was from Montana and in the National Guard, and was spending a while riding around the US and Canada before he gets deployed to the sandbox for the third time. Chai consumed, we moved over to our campsite to enjoy the campfire we'd started and chatted into the night before turning in. I never caught our very tall friend's name, but he was a really nice guy.

Stats for the day:

Track for the day:

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote