View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
After the very limited sleep , decided to make this a 2 day trip . Will have to come back to ride around the Blue Mountains . So I settled up my bill and topped the gas tank . Had a pastry and bottle of apple juice and hit the road . Riding out on Tucannon Road was all new because I sure didn't see much on the way in . Had to slow down for deer several times , also for flocks of turkeys . I don't think I have ever seen so many turkeys in one area in my whole life .

I rode St Hwy 261 up past Starbuck over Lyons Ferry Bridge , a nice road . And the next section of it was just about a "zen" ride . Perfect rolling hills and an assortment of curves with pretty good pavement and almost no traffic . Must be getting old , had a blast even near the speed limit !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyons_Ferry_Bridge

Hwy 26

After reaching Washtucan I headed west on Hwy 26 . Note , this road is good for burning miles and thats about it . Didn't know how long I was going to go before I hit the "wall" running on almost no rem sleep . I stopped at a rest area where 26 and I-395 intersect . Used their restroom and ate some seeds and drank some water . A lone bike came riding up . Being the shy old fart that I am , I went right over to shoot the breeze . Didn't even notice what his bike was , a Honda , Yamaha , big twin cruiser . He was wearing leather jacket and chaps . We talked about 2 minutes and he said he was from southeastern South Dakota , I told him I was from Alcester SD . he was stunned . Said he was from Beresford , a town about 12 miles away from Alcester . Turns out we know some of the same people . He graduated about 8 years after I did . He had ridden to Colorao to see one of his sons , then out to central California to visit the other son . Said he was going to try and make Yellowstone by that night . A nice meeting ! And I remembered to get his picture , right after I pulled back on the highway , damn . [/IMG]
I decided to stop in Othello and grab a breakfast bowl at Burger King . Man that town has grown since the early 80s when I used to come over bird hunting . After the quick snack and taking out the liners in the jacket and pants and switching to mesh gloves it was a short ride to I-90 and over the Vantage Bridge . Where I turned off to go to Ginkgo Petrified Forest .

In the second picture you can see a line in the water in the upper left .
That is the old hwy before they built the dam downstream .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_Petrified_Forest

Didn't take any pictures from there to my house , been through there too many times to care . Last picture of my windshield , were a few bugs out . Total trip was only 727 miles .

Gramp-Z screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 10:27 AM Reason: reloading pictures
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote