View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #48
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Today is very exiting........ I get to cut it into something I like......or not....... As mentioned earlier......A project like this with the " design as you go along"..... You want to make it bigger....then trim as needed. I have been longing for that day.......since I thought that this fairing is big enough for both of my enduro`s..... First.... I had to build up the mounts, since I did not like the flatter contour of the bracket pattern. As with the bash guard.....aluminum foil was used to create the containment......

Then filled with a fiber/epoxy mixture.....

Then.....after those were filed to my liking with the nuclear dentist tool...( dremel)... The fairing was mounted up..... And the masking for the proposed lines could begin.....

I then cut it with a 16 tpi hacksaw........ Trying to control this awkward piece on the band saw would spell disaster. Two things I have come to realize......
1. I really like the rough battle look of matte finish.... And this is even before seeing the beautiful CF pattern.
2. You can mask the general big shape of an object by alter the curves........... Sounds like taken out of " What woman want"...starring Mel Gibson... But really in this build it really applied to the piece itself.
After the cut.......

And on the bike... Mind you... from the angle on the first shot ...it looks like the top is square... It is not....

Then the stock shield was trimmed to sort of fit the fairing.......In the down position.....

In the up position........

The fairing height and with is very close to the stock screen.... So I need to get some longer m5`s to hold the shield in place..... And then drive it with the fairing only.....before mounting the screen....... Until then.....
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote