Thread: Slash 2
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #69
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359

Photo of Mojo, my 1966 BMW. I have film, prints, going back to 1988 when I first got her. This is a current shot from last night.

For years I took long looks at the forlorn old BMW sitting in the corner of the showroom floor of Cycle Specialties of Athens, GA. The big tank, the solo seat, the serifs on the BMW logo... With all the hot Ducatis, Moto Guzzi and other Italian exotica running about, the BMW looked pretty dowdy... at one time joined with a very gold R100RS for a couple years.

I moved to Vermont with my R75/7 for a job. It was good, I traveled to college campuses in the winter, then checked up on the kids working in National Forests and National Parks all over the US. Oh, yeah, I got paid to ride my R75/7 from Vermont to NC to AZ and back in 1987.

In 1988 I did a recruiting trip to UGA. I visited John Hoffman at Cycle Specialties. The R60 was still there. The story in how I bought the bike is a good one, but I'll save that unless asked.

John took great care in showing me how to start the R60/2. He told me the slingers had been done and she was ready to go. It was February 1989. The weather was mild. I fueled up and started riding to Vermont.

I made it! Vermont was easy. I decided to roll on into Canada... stopped outside Montpelier to pull on a sweater... and the oil spewed out of the vent pipe. The transmission would only go into third. I rolled into the only BMW shop in Montpelier...

Blown tranny. New old stock '67 in stock, you want it? No question.

In time, she was my only transportation through a very dark time in my life. For 3 years I took care of my parents, both dying with cancer in two different towns.

Mojo never failed me.

She was a mule, too, for a certain electrical system and now sports 400 watts and a H4 headlight. 12 volts and a very loud 6 volt horn. I rode her from NC to Sturgis, MS three years ago. Mojo got an award.

Second solo seat... another story, purchased in abject poverty but necessary regardless. Been on Mojo for what, 15, no 17 years ago. Dinosaur? Appeared after a meal in rural Pennsylvania on one northern sortie.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371

bmwloco screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 11:52 AM
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote