View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #48
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady
About a year and a half ago I saw the display cover at SJBMW and asked if they had a set. They in fact did. Chris indicated that they had gotten several sets from the powdercoater who discovered them in a box under a bench where they had been hidden for many years. I bought a set and waited while the sales guy ground off the powdercoating on the fins. The powdercoating was black gloss rather than the satin finish I think the earlier CC Products covers had. I've yet to install them. The original intent was to put them on the R100GS for their additional robustness but I decided not to since I've dropped the bike and tweaked the crashbars enough times to make removing even the stock covers a hassle. The current plan is to put them on my 83 R100RS Turbo if and when I ever get going on that project. One of my next chores is to repaint two sets of the stock black covers.
They have always been CC product valve covers as far as I know. Personally, I never liked the looks of them. I would think they just about have to get into your cornering clearance. If I remember right, they are heavy but I like the /7 covers over the peanuts for that reason. The /7 covers are a LOT more grind and crash proof. IMO, the most important feature of the CC products covers is that they seal with an O-ring. At least the ones I have seen did.

Someone mentioned "original" BMW airhead parts from the dealer going down in quality. I wish I couldn't say that but I have noticed the same thing. Just in the last five or so years, some BMW parts are as crappy as the repo stuff. I suspect it is one and the same. I think they decided at BMWAG to stop ignoring the aftermarket parts scene and start making money from it. I wish they had decided to bring the product up to BMW quality. At least so far, it is just some parts!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote