View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #54
guzzimike OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
By the time I got to the pub it was raining properly.

And within an hour the creek at the end of the street looked like this.

Blinman had 117mm in the next 6 hours or do, it was positively cyclonic.
The postie bikes strugged in, having been caught between creeks and trailered across, dragged across, whatever.
This is well documented elsewhere, so I won't go on about it here, but they couldn't have picked a worse weekend if they tried, it was the most rain Blinman has had in 24hrs, in 128 years.
Pizzas were good but.

As you can imagine, there was no room at the inn, or anywhere else, the hall had 40 bods sleeping on the floor. Camping was not an option, it was blowing fit to kill by this stage, so I took option Z.

Yep, the Ladies in the camping ground at the back of the pub.(No-one was camping)
At least it was dry, but there were times during the night when I thought we were going into orbit, Jeeze it blew!
In the morning it was freezing and raining lightly so I decided to bolt for Hawker while the going was good.
The morning's 100k run to Hawker would go down as the most challanging bitumin ride I've ever done, it was freezing, raining and blowing 100k/hr.
Add to this the rock climbing necessary at every creek crossing, and there were plenty of them.
Not much incentive to stop and take photos.

This was one of the shallower ones.
The heater in the motel in Hawker got a workout as I spent the day reading my book and formulating a New Plan.
The Oodnadatta Track was definitly out, Marree had supposedly had 80mm.
So what to do?
The Nullabour loomed as option 1.
If I took this it would make bike trip #28 across the paddock, so I wanted to try to avoid this if possible.
Option 2 was down to Port Augusta, then up the Stuart Hwy and down the Great Central Road, which is dirt, to Laverton in Western Australia.
So that's what I decided to do.
The country on the way to PA looks lush, if you decide to come here next year, don't expect it to look like this.

At PA I ran into a bunch of Farriders who had been up to the top of Horrocks Pass to remember Davo, FR #1 who was tragically killed in the US last year after hitting a deer on the last day of the Iron Butt Rally.
Some of these guys I would meet up with further up the Hwy, as one of them was attempting to ride 3000km in 24 hrs! Bigger nuts than me mate!
I camped that night north of Coober Pedy in the middle of the Painted Desert,

It is only relatively recently that this hwy was sealed, before then it was known as the worst road in Oz.

At Erldunda roadhouse we turn west, to Yulara, the GCR, and home.
More to come.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 06:22 AM
guzzimike is online now   Reply With Quote