View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #82
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,274
Hey guys - just checking in having got an internet connection up and running...

Thank you all for your kind words of support! - as for 'serious' competition for Annie, erm, well not quite sure about that...?! and I know Tina (Meier) is entered again too... but hey, I'll do what I can... as I've said before, my goal is to finish as the highest placed British Woman on the event so far...

I've just got back from a week in Moab - I'd like to say I was 'Dakar Training', but really it was just arsing about on some of the more extreme trails!

Still, I suppose I can include 'altitude' (typically between 5000 & 7000+ft - significantly higher than you get in the UK!), 'temperature' (90+F days), 'navigation' (no GPS on the bike, just a map and gut feeling!) and 'endurance' (8+hours a day riding, plus helping my buddy on a few of the more technical sections) to my repertoire... it all helps!

While I've been in the US I have also appointed a couple of personal trainers - Ben & Jerry - who were particularly involved during the trip to Utah...

However, now I've got back from Moab (and certainly once I get back to the UK) I will endeavor to shun my usual 'See-food' diet, and try and eat a little more healthily over the coming months... x

I'm already confident with my bike handling skills (and navigation) at speed of course, and this past week in Moab certainly helped with mental and physical conditioning which is no less important - it certainly highlighted areas in which I can improve...

Once I get back home, the rally bike should be ready to start testing, and depending on the handling with the new fuel and water tanks in place, I may enlist the help of a suspension tuner - although I like the plushness of the stock set-up, on return from Tunisia, the rear end is now noticeably softer, and that was just one event of 2000kms...

I will then undertake the final few modifications and preparations prior to shipping in mid November - I've just been reading the 94 page!!! document regarding the technical regs etc for the bikes... it is my intention to enter in Marathon class, as keeping it simple seems to be the most proven way of gaining a finish...

As for sponsorship, I have already approached a number of suppliers/companies, and also hope to have a really attractive package together for the 'grass-roots' supporters of my campaign...

Details to follow the moment I have them!

Toot toot for now!

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote