View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Day 1 continued

The idea for today was to see the Largest Western Juniper, then head over to Crack In The Ground before heading to Christmas Valley for fuel and lunch. Blasted out Ford road and Jonathan took lead as he "knew" where the Juniper was. Took Sand Springs then NF23 heading....West??? After a few miles we convinced Jonathan that he was taking us to LaPine and so we headed south on China Hat and tried to find our way to the tree. After getting lost for awhile, we just decided to head for Crack in the Ground. I took lead as I had that marked on my GPS, but we hit locked gates and just decided to head east and make our own way. Mark lead

As I came around a corner, two huge Belgian horses crashed through the brush across my path. What are Belgians doing out here???

Continued east only to be blocked numerous times by lava.

Had to back track numerous times. Finally just bushwacking through the sage brush until we found a road without a locked gate. Jonathan's custom skid plate collected quite a sage sampling and began to smolder so we had to stop several times to put out the fire.

Fiddled with the GPS until it showed a route to CV and took off. Hit more slab into CV where we grabbed a burger and gas....for the bikes.
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote