View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Day 1 continued

From the beginning our idea was to catch lunch and fuel each day around noon so that we would have at least one full meal each day. After CV headed south on Fandango. Fandango is a notoriously rough, rocky two track that most Central Oregon riders are very familiar with. After 5 years on a TW200 with it's limited suspension, it took me awhile to gain confidence that the DR could handle the rocks just fine and that all I really needed to do was twist the throttle and hang on. It's amazing how much abuse the tires, suspension and gear can take.

When we got to the Halfway Buttes road we had to make a decision: Head west to Summer Lake Hot Springs or south to Plush. The hot springs were too big a draw and won out.

Got there only to find it was filled with people returning from Burning Man. Grabbed a campsite a ways away from the noise, set up camp and took a soak.

Man it's nice to soak the weary body after a day or riding.

Camped next to us were two guys from Eugene. One on a GS1200 and the other on a Yellow KLR650 with "Caterpillar" on the front. They were meeting up the next day with a bunch of other riders. I think they were going to be staging out of Crane Hot Springs?

Final stats for the day not spectacular but decent:

and elevations