View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Day 2

Day 2

Woke up to frost after being serenaded to sleep by an amazing guitar player on the stage as SLHS.

We were slow getting packed as we were trying to let things dry out a bit. Zipped into Paisley for fuel and fresh water. When I pulled in I noticed smoke coming from the back right side. Guess during a stupid tip over out in the lava my rack was slightly bent and was pressing the side cover against the muffler. Bend the rack back out and all's good.

Rode back out the way we came then headed south to Plush. When we got to Hwy 395 we could have gone straight out into the brush, but Mark and Jonathan had done that before and from what they said it would take an hour to cover 10 miles. So we blasted up 395 to Hogback which is wide smooth and dusty gravel for miles and miles.

Arrived in Plush right at noon so took advantage of a nice hot lunch and fueled again. When Mark pulled up he realized that the zipper on his tank bag was open and his camera was missing. What a bummer as I'm sure he had an awesome picture of me clearing about 6 feet of air over the Fandango cattle guard.

Left Plush and headed NW for Hart Mtn Antelope Range. Stopped at the Head Quarters for a minute.

Then a quick ride to the Hot Springs.

What a cool place, we got there about 2:00 and took a good amount of time for a soak.

Now we were all relaxed and not really in any hurry, but Mark and Jonathan were slower that me in getting ready so I said I'd go look for some shade to wait under. Well the trail leaving south from the hot springs immediately turns into a narrow,steep, rutted and rocky jeep trail. So I didn't stop for about half a mile until I got to the top and waited....and waited.....and waited. No show. I really didn't want to head back down because I didn't want to run into one of them heading up, but down I went. Finally met Jonathan about 2/3's of the way down. He said Mark had a no-start situation. By the time I got back to Mark's bike they had it figured out as a bad connector coming off the battery. Quick fix and all is right with the world.

Back up the jeep trail. What a fun trail. Water bars, small water crossings, just really interesting.

Everything eventually flattened out back down in the valley and there were antelope everywhere. Who would have figured.

Mark was leading via a GPS route and came to a water crossing. As he did, ducks took off...

While Mark and Jonathan hemmed and hawed, I fired up the mighty DR and blasted across. No problem.

Jonathan was next:

Check out his wake in this one:

He put his foot down about half way across so when he got onto dry land, he had to dump the water out of his boot and wring out his sock.

The mosquitos were vicious.

Mark was next:

Fun stuff. Rode a little more and came to just what looked to be a short water crossing in some deep ruts. Mark took the left rut which didn't look too good to me. Nope it wasn't. Really deep, he took water over the top of his windscreen:

Traveled some rutted roads and came to this sign which I've seen in a number of other reports:

MadChap screwed with this post 09-20-2010 at 04:01 PM
MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote