Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
MadChap OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Day 3

Day 3

Woke up before sunrise. Cold night. Took a few pics before the others woke:

Love the light coming through the windows on this one:

When I went to get water for coffee from my camelbak...no water... tube was frozen. No frost because there was no humidity.

Got all packed up and this time it was my turn for no-start. My bad. When I wired up my hot grips, I ran a new wire for the grips and for and 12v power supply direct to the battery. Some time when moving things around I placed something on the dash and must have switched them on.

Took just a minute to get Mark's tow strap and bump start the DR.

When doing the wiring before the trip I put in a headlight switch so I switched it off for awhile to charge the battery.

We took off and headed east then north for Beaty Butte. Passed the pink trailer, someone was there with horses.

Poked around until we found the trail to the top. Wow, what a steep climb. Near the top we ran out of trail all together and bushwhacked around to the south finding a nice flat parking lot. If you do this ride, be careful, someone dragged some fencing panels up near the top and Jonathan almost got hung up on them.

View from the top is amazing:

North:

East towards the Steens:

South to Nevada:

And West towards Hart Mountain:

Jonathan checking out the Geo-Cache.

I signed us in:

Marker on top:

Had cell service so called family. Found out that it was pouring down rain in Bend and the weather was heading our way.

Jonathan is stoked that his heavy Dakar made it to the top:

Wind on top was cold and strong so after enjoying the views we headed back down, needing some water for our camelbaks.

View of the general area:

Headed for the cave spring just a short jaunt from the trail to the top. What a cool spot:

Hiked up to the cave:

Amazing fresh, clean and tasty water

Hike back down, got to keep moving.

MadChap is offline   Reply With Quote