First, you need to wear out your clutch. I suggest lots of off-tarmac miles, but a mud hole, or steep climb, or sandy wash will do.
Then order the Clutch kit from BMW that includes springs, plates, and friction disks. I also ordered the gasket, but the old one stayed intact so being a cheap bastard I just re-used it and returned the new one to the dealer. Thousands of miles later no leaking.
There's seven disks that were marked G8 and two marked G7. The old ones out of the bike were marked G5 and G6.
8 steel plates the same, one with a divot and darker in color.
Here you can see one of the two plates that are machined to have a slightly narrower tooth.
The plates without the machining.
Dont forget to soak the new plates in oil.
I changed the oil while I was at it so thats where I started.
I removed the cable.
and the sidestand, along with the many 9mm screws holding the cover on.
Removed shift lever, cover spline with e-tape, remove cover. Here the shift lever came out with the cover, was easy to pop back in.
This is the first plate on the clutch, closest to the motor. It was the only one that was severely worn....
I noticed this half and half weirdness
They don't look too bad do they?
new longer springs
OK, the IMPORTANT part.
Its absolutely necessary to get the one plate with the divot as shown in the manual in first, followed by one of the machined disks with narrower teeth.
What I found with my kit after hours of trying to figure out what I did wrong was that the machined plated were NOT both the ones marked different.
I screwed up, and didn't pay attention to the machining (after I photographed it) and just looked at the G7 markings.
One of my plates marked G7 was NOT one of the machined ones, so when installed my assembly was wider than it should be since without that machined first disk, it didnt go all the way in.
This is what it looks like when it's WRONG. When put back together, the thing that pulls the clutch out is too far out also, and wont allow the clutch to be disengaged. This is where I had trouble, feeling confident that I had put the correctly labeled disks in the right order. I was wrong to trust the markings and not pay closer attention.
This is what is looks like when you take one plate and one disk out... what I did to confirm that problem was with the spacing, not in my methods to get the cover back on correctly, which many different BMW techs were suggesting.
Finally realizing what was going on I took it back apart, put the correct plates in, and it went back together easily.
There's one clean section on my bike!.... not for long.
It really was a simple task, but can be screwed up like I demonstrated... it should not take someone smarter than I that pays closer attention to detail or a BMW tech more than an hour to do this. No special tools needed, just what you should have in your tool kit anyways.
Now go wear out that clutch!