View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Thanks konaunit1....it gets better!
Thanks Jason....I've taken notice of your work too!

That section into the foothills seems to get new pavement further and further in, but soon I reach the dirt road.

In the spring, these hills are a beautiful green, but it's still a pleasure to ride through in the early fall.

An oasis of agricultural land among the dry foothills

After passing through Pearl (a small residential area) I end up at the top of the summit on Hwy55 between Boise and Horseshoe Bend. I decide to avoid the newly chip coated 4-lane highway and take the old Horseshoe Bend road.

Poor folks on the 4-lane don't know what there missing

The grade is broken up quite a bit with shifting and sinking pavement, potholes and loose dirt, but it's much more fun than the 4-lane. It's not maintained and has been out of service for about 20 years.

Down in the valley lies Horseshoe Bend (named for the bend the Payette River makes around the town.)

A close up of the town. You can see the Idaho Northern train parked for a tour up the Payette River.

Another shot of the old HSB road in the foothills

Just before entering the town I turn left and head up Harris Creek.

I stop to take in a view of Castle Rock. You have to keep your eyes open for it because it only comes into view between the mountains for a short distance.

A popular climbing spot for local climbers

Placerville is a tiny community in the mountains but fun to roll through.

Nice central park

And the old Magnolia Saloon, now a museum

I was headed to Grimes Pass but took an older route called "Old Centerville Road." The less traveled roads are the most fun.

An old structure along the way where the cows roam

Parked on the bridge crossing Grimes Creek, the pass is just up the road a ways

Grimes Pass

I took more pics of my bike in the landscape than normal....hope you don't mind

Another shot before rounding a switchback

The road continues along the South Fork of the Payette River. This emerald section of the river always has me stopping.

OK....last one

More to come.....

Kodanja screwed with this post 09-24-2010 at 12:40 AM
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote