View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #49
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis P Monaco
I'm not a guy who has even ridden a motorcycle before in my life (no joke) but reading these long road trip reports have entertained me for awhile, so I figured I should finally register just so that I can comment on a few of the reports.

I'm someone who'd love to drive both the Dempster and the Dalton-even if it's by car-and yet this is the first time I had ever heard of either the James Bay Road or the Trans-Taiga. The scenery there looks great and it sounds like you've met a cornucopia of people and have had many great experiences.

It's also great that you could mention seeing a random person walking on a road that fits the definition of "the middle of nowhere" and a forum can not only guess correctly who it was, but mention his job. That is pretty tremendous.

I'll be interested in hearing your further stories on this great trip.
what a great post!

i've wondered myself what the non riding public would think about these ride reports. far from being about motorcycles, the reports are a rolling travel directory, full of adventure, drama, and insight into the human condition. a pleasure to read, beats wasting any time with TV.

there's only one thing for you to do and that's to plan a trip. Canada has to be one of the best places on earth to tour, a vast country, and the people unfailingly friendly and helpful. an SUV or pickup would work better on those big gravel roads.

across the north there are few roads and few people. to see someone walking on a bush road far from any known shelter was unusual enough for me to make a note, and then later include in my report. to have throttlemeister come along and identify this guy for me a year after seeing him, now that is bizarre.

here's a photo from the dempster to tempt you into a little trip planning...

jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote