View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
shaweetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Packing for two is tricky

Weíve got all this crap pre-packed in the living room so we can stare at it and figure out what has to move and what has to go. There isnít exactly a ton of space left over, which is unsurprising. Solo, it would be a piece of cake, but camping two-up on a Bonneville is tricky. Thankfully, the 55lbs on the panniers is well balanced, and the bike feels great with the weight down low and centered on the rear axle.

I recently installed Ikon shocks on the rear, which handled almost this much loading without issue on pre-load #2. If I have to, I can raise it to #3 but it will make for a stiff ride.

We discovered a couple of problems last night during a dry run around the city, with the fully packed bike: as in, we donít have enough space for all of our crap.

Itís not a question of weight; itís a question of volume, and needing enough cargo space for a worst-case scenario, which is a hot, dry day. Warm and waterproof stuff takes up a lot of space. Our pack list in not significantly different from anyone elseís. But we canít set out already packed to the gills when there has to bit of spare room for unforeseens, snacks, food, artifacts, etc.

Also, it turns out that packing cubes with real clothes in them take up a lot more room. Mrs. Shaweetz has done an incredible job of packing her stuff, but Iím tired, so we end up arguing about her four T-shirts, which is a ridiculous argument in fact. I'm being stupid, and plus, her shirts are like half the size of mine. I'm lucky enough that she's game for this trip, given that most people, you know, fly and rent cars and bring suitcases and stuff.

So time to cull some junk and shuffle some things around.

shaweetz screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 12:09 PM
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote