View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
shaweetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Sudbury to Agawa Bay L. Superior

Old house near Iron Bridge:

These places fascinate me, but also creep me out, since you always have the feeling that someone is in there. From the construction, this house has been there for quite some time, and in quite a pretty spot too. Lesser houses would have gone completely back to the earth long ago.

I pass three dudes on bicycles, heading west, and dressed in business casual. And not close to any particular town. And not loaded for touring. Huh?

Later on I pass a crew running for cancer with a chase vehicle: http://www.colechokencancerrun.com/

I grab some quick lunch in the Soo and, looking around the mall parking lot, I realize I’ve hit hair salon pay dirt (three to choose from!), so I head for the sketchiest looking one and walk in for the fastest haircut of my life. She was done in like 4 minutes flat. And, surprisingly, did not too bad a job.

My first ever sighting of Lake Superior is everything it’s made out to be. Traffic is heavy, but it's a beautiful day. The flip side to enjoying all of this pristine blacktop is that now and again you have to wait around while they’re installing it. I nearly melt, twice, in Pancake Bay waiting for the flagman to switch the traffic direction, awesomely decked out in full gear, in the baking sun, on my inferno engine. Shortly afterwards, I’m settling in at Agawa Bay Lake Superior PP where I am recovering from the $36.75 sticker shock camping fee. ***??? To sleep on the ground beside the highway? Clearly I am missing something.

My mood is lifted when I manage to see and photograph the impressive Agawa rock pictographs:

I didn’t see them all, as my touring boots aren’t lug treads and those rocks are as slippery as they look. I wasn’t quite ready for the swim, and despite many warnings of drownings I still manage to slip and just about go ass over tea kettle into the lake anyway. That woke me up fast. As it was, I was very fortunate that the lake was calm and I was able to go down for a closer look. Leaving the site, a light rain finally comes, so I hightailed it back to the campsite about 5 minutes down the road for some dinner and a spectacular sunset.

Garry and Ryan from Michigan are here for the 11th straight summer, camping with their grandfather Larry. They are next door and kindly invite me over for the fire and some snacks. I chat for bit, nice folks, but am pretty tired and ready to hit the sack. They will be the first of many kind strangers who approach and offer their hospitality, a highlight of the trip.

It's starting to rain a little harder now; a bummer since the laundry I did won’t be drying any time soon. Why am I doing laundry on Day 2???

shaweetz screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 01:08 PM
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote