View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
shaweetz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Dinosaurs

An early rise, and there is ice on the tent. Feck! It's not even September yet.

Wandering into the pasture, but not too close, since I’m afraid of cows. Will they attack? The grasses are crunching in the frost underfoot.

I consider, seriously, making a morning fire out of dried cow dung, it is that f-in cold. Standard procedure in many parts of the world.

The calves are bellowing and running in their funny way.. Who doesn’t like calves?

Breaking camp I decided to wash the filthy bike while waiting for the rising sun to burn the ice off the fly. It's a handy time for a deep inspection, and restore a bit of pride.

Now, everyone knows dinosaurs are a kid thing. You know, cool ferocious monsters and all that. And certainly, many museums and books about them are pitched primarily at kids. For some reason, it’s not as cool to be into paleontology as an adult. And that’s a shame, but it probably has something to do with the kid sell, the family-friendly vibe.

The fact of the matter is, examining fossilized remains of ancient animals requires facing some very mature, challenging and perhaps uncomfortable existential questions.

The Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller, AB does a very nice job of providing kid friendly content, while including more advanced exhibits such as the excellent presentation and displays on Darwinian evolution. Whatever your opinion on the matter, you will see it, and you will think. I spent several hours at the Tyrell before moving on; it was time and money well spent. The collection of real and cast skeletons is exceptional, and of course the dioramas are always a hoot.

(click to enlarge)
I burn out of Drumheller, backtracking a bit, because I want to go to Dinosaur Provincial Park, a UNESCO heritage site.

shaweetz screwed with this post 02-12-2012 at 06:52 PM
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote