Thread: Endless Utah
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #77
Signal OP
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G
Oh cool... we'll be in that area next May if we do our trip as planned.

Yeah I saw the trail -- is that a rideable trail??

I'm trying to plan up the fourteen-day trip from Reno to Moab and back and hit high points along the way, but not so many that all we see is a glimpse of each. Trying to refine it down to some, and then it gives us reason for another trip a year later. :)

After Moab, we plan to head south to Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, and eventually the North Rim area, but seeing this, I know I need to add it to the to-do list.

Rob
Really easy to get to Deadhorse/Canyonlands (north) in about 30 minutes from Moab (nice after dinner ride)
-north out of Moab on Hwy 191 about 7 miles
-Left (west) onto SR 313 for about 13 miles or so as the road winds up teh plateau...
-Left onto SR313 toward deadhorse, or straight 4 miles (on what is now Neck Road) into Canyonlands, both require an entrance fee

The Schaffer trail IS a great ride, but bike must be plated to pass into the state/national park stuff- like many trails in Moab, conditions vary quickly. This trail is trypically one onf the easier ones (and views are wonderful) though has a few tricky spots (esp for a big bike).