View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #124
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,131
Tanks for the memory...

Ok, a few snaps - apologies if they are blurry, I was standing on one leg at the time x

So, bike before I went to the USA:

The intention is to try and keep all the [liquid] weight between the wheels - GMX built a 5.05 litre aluminium auxiliary tank to fit between the twin JVO front tanks, and under the stock seat... this way, I could remove the 5 litre Safari Tank from the rear fender I used in Tunisa, and still have the same range.

However, having spoken to Tamsin Jones recently (who finished the Dakar this year on a WR450 with a 15 litre front and and 10 litre rear tank), she said she ran out of fuel a few times, or at least got dangerously close to doing so... so I think the best policy will be to fit the Safari tank back on, but not necessarily fill it except for the longer/est days?

The reason for removing the Safari tank in the first place was to make the back of the bike as slim and as light as possible - saving the subframe from additional stress, and basically, looking like the enduro from the rear...

However, the 5L Safari tank together with a Kreiga Cube bag as a tool pack works very well on the rear fender, and for Dakar, I reckon the 'safety' of that set up is a wise precaution...

So, once I got back from the US, I went to pick up the bike and this is what Dave had produced:

The guy is a wizard when it comes to welding intricate shapes (their main business is Radiator fabrication, and indeed he made the one on my Tenere Rally bike for Heroes' last year), and he managed to fit a pair of tanks either side of the Flatland Racing bashplate:

I had designed the basic shape (out of cereal packets, of course!), and Dave fabbed them up in a combination of 3mm and 2mm alloy... the capacity of each tank is actually 1.7 litres, so comfortably providing the requisite 3 litres the regulations require.

The design of the water tanks follows the line of the fairing/tanks as closely as possible, and of course also protects my tootsies from nasty rocks... which based on recent experience, is probably a wise precaution!

I can't wait to get on the thing and ride it again!

Toot toot!

J xx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 10-10-2010 at 12:05 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote