View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #36
dwthump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Pirate Rally

Great RR! I was in the same area at the same time, rode my KLR650 down from St. Louis for several days of riding the twisties out of Harrison, AR. On Saturday, I went to Jasper and then to Ponca and eventually started going north on 23 also as my route went through Eureka Springs and then back into Branson as my base of opps. Arghh, Pirates everywhere on every route even 40 miles away from E. Springs in large numbers. Little did I know it was the biker/Corvette weekend and also a lot of spillover from the rally at Fayetteville. So here I am on my blue Kawasaki in packs of pirates going into town. My it was loud! I pulled over a couple of times on my ride to check my maps and usually there were pirates there doing the same. Some were very nice, some wouldn't even look at me. Whilst I was getting gas on the main drag it looked like they were getting ready for a parade of Vettes. I still had an hour or so to go on my route so I booked it out of town. Man the scenery was fantastic!

Contrast this to my ride to Potosi, MO yesterday with a buddy of mine who said there was a BMW rally and swap meet at the fairgrounds. Very cool, ADV style bikes everywhere and the fairgrounds was filled with Beemers and tents and all around nice people that had ridden there from everywhere. Funny thing, most of the BMW riders were wearing fluorescent jackets and lots of safety clothing. Arkansas has no helmet law so
doo-rags were the protection of choice in E. Springs. I love the area and would love to explore some of the off-road areas. The Buffalo river area was very cool also.

Darren
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote