View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
bull600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Day 7
Yunta to Cadell

Another nice day saw us set off in the morning towards Morgan. The road through to Lilydale Station was in pretty good condition before we turned south towards Sturt Vale Station.
There seems to be awfully good signs out here for not much traffic!

Once past Sturt Vale we took the road towards Pine Valley Station which had recently been graded and then picked up the Morgan Mail Road and headed south to Morgan. The Mail road was a little sandy in places but by lunchtime we pulled into town with an important decision to be made – which pub for lunch? (they’re across the road from each other!). In the end we settled for the Commercial Hotel

and a great feed it turned out to be!

We had organised to stay the night on a property that included great river frontage camps not far out of Cadell. So after loading up with a bit of ice to keep our ‘supplies’ cold we hit the bitumen for the quick 16km run down the Renmark Road to our destination.
After a chat with the owner it was down to our campsite with the hope of a dip in the river to cool off and freshen up. As we dismounted the bikes I noticed a swarm of what looked like flies buzzing around Paul’s head. It was not until I took off my helmet that I realized what they were…

Oh no.. “Houston we have a problem”. Now I’ve suffered through many camps with mozzies before but this was unbelievable. It was 3 o’clock in the afternoon and these things were looking to eat us alive, so after much consternation we decided to move away from the water and seek a camp on higher ground. For kilometre after kilometer we rode, stopping every now and again to check the density of mozzies. If more than 10 had landed on our head with a few minutes we moved on. Finally, at the extreme edge of the property we found an area that seemed to be bearable and set up camp.
We quickly lit a fire to try and smoke them away but as dusk fell there were 2 schools of thought on how to survive. My, cover up at all costs method

or Paul’s spray until you can’t breathe philosophy

Neither was completely successful so we took a raincheck on final night bender and hit the sleeping bags early..
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote