View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
toowheels OP
on a mission...

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
Can't help but think the cheaper option might be to trade it on a KTM 690 Enduro R or 950SE. Or XChallenge, if you must stay Bavarian.

All of these "now it's the perfect ADV bike because it's so light!" modifications forget that most ADVers, myself included, could start going to the gym more regularly and take more weight off the bike than Wunderlich ever could. And where do you put your luggage?
I think it's interesting to see what's possible. The 950SE may be cheaper but it's not lighter.
With all the talk/projects of "the perfect adventure bike" with twins and stuffing a Versys engine into a KTM 640/690 frame etc., this is a different approach. Does the F800 GS need two front disc brakes? The 950SE doesn't. Does it need a beak and a fender? Etc...etc.

More power...NO...more efficiency and lighter weight = better range.

Lighter weight...ride more places you wouldn't normally go?

Could you lose more weight? Maybe (I don't have any to lose) but it's always easier to move around (and pick up ) a lighter bike.

Could this be the lightest medium twin bike? Highland? Terra Mostro?

Couldn't it be factory built? Yes, but not likely. On the other hand that is what the 950SE is to the 990 Adv. and HP2 to the 1200GS, no? It's a niche no doubt and one that a lot of inmates like. Bring on more lightweight mid size bikes!!

It'll be interesting to see what the Triumph 800XC weighs but it's only likely to be slightly less weight if at all.

Luggage? That's easy! A Giant Loop Great Basin on the back and a Fandango tank bag. Done. No racks/boxes to bend/break/crack, add 20-30lbs. and turn the bike into a big wide tank .

Dave