View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #17
rdwalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,513
World's End!

Thanks, all, for your encouragement. Back to our scheduled programming...

Ushuaia! The morning finds us enjoying an elegant breakfast in Hotel Canal Beagle. The Argentine Automobile Club operates the establishment - I was told that I would have received an additional discount, have I had my AAA membership card to show. Too bad.

Getting ready for the short ride to World's End.

Winding forest road towards Bahia Lapataia.

Well: here we are. Park the bikes...

... and walk up to the famous sign, shown in pictures of all visitors to this area.

Want a proof? Here is your proof!

"Usted Esta Aqui" - You Are Here, End of Route 3.

A bit of a distraction: no alimony payments from Zorro? A deadbeat father? (Actually, sign says 'Do Not Feed Foxes', but I like my interpretation better.)

From now on, it's going back... We are riding the park road in direction of Ushuaia ...

... enjoying the views ...

... and taking a detour toward Beagle Channel.

Beagle Channel is one of the historically important navigable connections between the Atlantic and the Pacific (the other well-known ones are the Straits of Magellan and Drake Passage). It is named after HMS Beagle, which mapped it during the first cartographic voyage in the 1820's. Of course, today's fame of Beagle stems from the second journey, in early 1830's, when it carried Charles Darwin as the ship's naturalist.

At Puerto Guarani, there is a tourist trap: the little wooden pier supports a shed containing what bills itself as "South America's Southern-most Post Office".

Inside, throngs of visitors are scouring the goods, looking for the cheapest souvenir that still impresses friends back home. Well, I did that too - End-of-Route-3 sticker still adorns the side case of my GS.

Cutting back through the Martial Range, we pass Ushuaia and continue north.

Overnight in Rio Grande. The pleasant hotel offers an enclosed parking lot, which for some reason seems like a very good idea there.

That evening, we got first whiffs of the famed Patagonian winds. Somehow we got lucky on our way south and felt nothing unusual. Yet, everyone was warning us about them prior to the trip and thus we were beginning to wonder if this was not just a marketing ploy.

Well, it was not. The powerful wind was bending and moving the vegetation and became a major factor affecting our riding from then on.

rdwalker screwed with this post 10-16-2010 at 08:19 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote