View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #28
MTrider16 OP
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,614

Thursday August 12, 2010 – Day 7 – “Rest Day”

Well, I made it through the first leg, now I had to take care of some things. The first stop was the motorcycle shop to get the tire changed. I was pretty tired, and had a tough time getting going. Usually it is nice to get to the shops early in the morning so you’re first in line for the racks, so I wanted to be there at 8:00. After much coaxing I made it at 8:15, which was still 45 minutes too early. Next time I’ll ask for the time they open.

So I stopped at a local coffee stand and got a breakfast sandwich and quad mocha. With that under my belt, I went back to the shop and started to strip the bags off the bike. The one bag needed a little persuasion to come off as the mechanism was a little sticky. Soon it was 9:00 and I started working with the service desk writing up a work order to change the tire and install a new chain.

As you can see, the tire was well worn. The guys at the shop fixed me up well and at about 11:00 I was headed back to the hotel with a new tire and chain.

The other chore I needed to get done was laundry, packing light means re-using some clothes once in awhile. ;-) Now it was time to fix that. I also decided to check my email and Facebook since I had been offline since the start of the trip. With those chores done, I went and got some lunch. The bar restaurant had a nice burger. With a full belly, and light on sleep, I went back to my room for a well deserved nap.

Now it was time to go visit some friends from Montana and get some dinner. Janelle and Josh took me over to the Salmon Bake along with their kids. It was a fun time.

Josh is an A&P mechanic so I asked to see some of the planes he works on. Here is the project plane, a Maule.

This is the work plane, a fast ambulance.

Their son liked my motorcycle so we had to take a picture.

I think we have a future mechanic.

With that, I headed back to the hotel and bed, tomorrow would be a big day.

Stats for Day 7: 34 miles, 2.4 gallons of fuel, -- hours
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote