View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #28
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Pivot pegs

I have Pivot Pegs on my trail bike and love them. Easier and shifting and braking with more control.

That said, on bigger adventure bikes I *don't* like pivot pegs. I had them on my 640 Adventure and found that my calves and ankles got tired doing more standing on pivot pegs.

My theory (in my case) is that standing on an adventure bike vs. standing on a trail bike have different requirements. On a trail bike I stand probably 90% of the time. My position is much more aggressive and dynamic on a trail bike than when riding an adventure bike, and I'm shifting, braking, moving much more.

On an adventure bike I tend to stand in a more upright, static, relaxed position just cruising down forest roads and the like. I found my calves and ankles getting more fatigued after a long time of just "relaxed" standing. I switched to a fixed peg and it was no longer an issue. I assume that with pivot pegs I was subconsciously using more effort to keep my feet from pivoting when they didn't need to.

Just my 2 cents. I've mentioned this to a few friends who use pivot pegs on bigger bikes and they've never experienced the same thing.