View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #26
dang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Herr,

There are stand alone low voltage alarms which plug in to balance connectors. They cost about $5 wholesale and let off a pretty piercing tone when any one cell drops to below a certain threshold voltage. There is a level of safety there if you are a savvy operator because the first time the alarm goes off will be when the battery is loaded. If you moderate the load at that time you can get a little more juice before killing the cells. For instance you might pull a headlight bulb so the FI can operate.

For a moto the idea of a low voltage disconnect is a little troubling. If you're 50 miles out you might like to make the choice between killing the battery by running and hiking out. You're packs are reasonably priced, I for one would happily risk killing the cells to get home if need be.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
I'm looking into that right now. I can order these with cell balancer connections, but those are really for the Radio Control people who have to manually charge. They are for trickle chargers only and aren't connected to the heavy capacity wires from your battery to your bike that would be an auto-shut off.

I have a cell balancer with a low voltage alarm that plugs into the balance connector on one of my test batteries. It's never gone off, because I've never had my voltage drop that low. I think I will abuse it and see what happens... I think this would be a great option to offer. Probably add $35+ to the total cost, but would offer peace of mind.
dang is offline   Reply With Quote