View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #47
MTrider16 OP
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,611

Wednesday August 18, 2010 – Day 13 – “Fire”

I got up early, packed up the tent, and was on the road by 7:00 am. This was going to be my best picture day, but I didn’t know it yet.

The day started out with some clouds hanging around as the sun worked its way up over the western mountains.

The next fuel stop was about 79 miles down the road, which would be a good place to stop for breakfast.

The mountains were beautiful, with wisps of clouds running over their slopes.

Through the gaps in the trees I could see waterfalls from the snowmelt.

A small river ran along side the road and so I walked out to a gravel bar to take this picture. The clouds were moving fast and would dramatically change the lighting every few minutes.

The bike was parked at the turnout for the river so I took a picture of it and the road while I was there.

The Bell II lodge was my stop for breakfast and fuel.

Maybe I’ll have to come back in the winter and try a little snowboarding.

It was a nice little place with espresso and a good breakfast.

“On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light”

Crossing the Nass River, I had to stop and check out this little one lane bridge.

It was wood, single span, a nice piece of engineering.

For you non-engineers, here is a pic of the river.

I was trying to get to Prince George for a hotel reservation. I had to stop taking pictures and start making miles.

Kitwanga was the next gas stop, and I had a sandwich at the little store there. Now I was on highway 16, a major road between Prince George and Prince Rupert.

“Welcome to the hotel california
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
They livin’ it up at the hotel california
What a nice surprise, bring your alibis”

After covering the 156 miles to Burns Lake, the smoke from the fires caught up with me.

Surprisingly there was some clear air between Burns Lake and Prince George, but the ominous plume said this would not last.

As I got to Prince George at 7:00 pm, the smoke started to settle in. When I checked into the motel, I found out they didn’t have guest laundry facilities. Rats, with a shower, it was too late to go to a Laundromat, so the laundry would have to wait till the morning.

“ ’relax,’ said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
But you can never leave!”

I don’t have an ipod or other form of music, sometimes a song will get stuck in my head and I will hear it all day. Glen Fry and the Eagles were the band of the day.

I had some dinner at a faux New York Italian place, and got to bed. After 3 nights of tenting, the bed was a nice change.

Stats for Day 13: 532 miles, 9.3 gallons of fuel, 12.0 hours
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote