View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #49
MTrider16 OP
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,499

It was cold in the morning, and the smoke was just as thick. Add to that, I was getting tired, and was running out of Canadian currency. While the last item wasn’t much of a problem, all the others factored into my change of direction. I was going south today.

With the cool weather and smoke I didn’t take many pictures today. I stopped at Nick and Leslie’s Café in Rocky Mountain for breakfast and to warm up. I continued east until I got to Hwy 2 in Red Deer, and I turned south to Calgary. Picking up fuel at Crossfield, I kept heading on to Calgary and the Trans Canadian Hwy for a short jog east.

At Medicine Hat I stopped at this structure commemorating the native tribes of the region.

There were several paintings depicting history and culture of the natives.

Metis were mixed race, and there were several groups in this region and south into Montana. There was a good sized settlement in Montana near Lewistown.

Art from the plains tribes.

And more... It was a very nice display, with explanations from the artists.

Back in Montana. Had to stop and take a pic of this combine by the road. The hills in the background are the Bears Paw Mountains.

So from Medicine Hat I took the road south through Port of White Horse and down to Havre. There was a road I wanted to see across the Missouri.

I had never driven into Havre from this direction, so I had to stop and take a picture at this viewpoint.

For those of you who don’t know how to pronounce this town’s name:
Ha – with a short a, like Hal or happen
vre – like ver, as ever or never

Anyway, I stopped in at the Siesta Motel, a nice little family run place. It was 6:15 pm, so it was a nice night for a shower and dinner at the café next door. There I met another rider from eastern Ontario. He was looking for an inexpensive hotel or campground to stay at, the $65 that the Siesta wanted was a little too much. I guess price is relative; this motel was one of the least expensive places I stayed at the whole trip.

Went to bed, and slept like a baby.

Stats for Day 15: 507 miles, 8.4 gallons of fuel, 11.0 hours
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote