View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,191
Oct 24
We rode another full day today, in fact, with a nice break during mid-day on the beach, we rode into the night. The goal was free room and board.. at my parents house in Indio, California. They have a nice condo here, and it sits empty through the summer and fall, so no one is here right now. It was a good 600 km today to get here, so we pushed on.

We made arrangements with the neighbour (thanks Red!) to come over and open the gate and house, and turn on the power and water.

So, here we sit, in luxury (for us). I took one picture, just for my Mom. We promise to clean up when we leave... promise! :)

Oct 25
Slab City, California
Slab City (Located at 3315′32″N 11527′59″W), is an abandoned World War II Marine Barracks (former Camp Dunlap), that has been inhabited by squatters and RV owners since it closed.

It takes it's name from the concrete slabs that remain from the military base.

Most of the people who live there (about 150 full time) do so from poverty. There is no charge to stay. There are no hookups or water, but supplies are available in nearby Niland.

At the entrance to Slab City is "Salvation Mountain" created by Leonard Knight. We met Mr. Knight at the base of the mountain, he toured us through the concrete and adobe painted project he has been working on for 30 years.

Tim doing yoga:

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote