View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,188
Oct 26
San Diego, California
We rode a shorter distance today after leaving Slab City this morning. Arriving in San Diego, we stopped at a Target where we did some shopping. After hopping over to a Starbucks for some free internet, we programmed our GPS's for the local BMW dealership (new tires) and another bike store for some upgraded helmet cams.

At the first bike store we arrived at, we met up with two bikers (Neil and Troy) from the internet that we knew were doing the same route as us. They just happened to be at the same store at the same time.

After we got their hotel info, we left them and headed to the BMW dealership to shop for tires. As we pulled up, Simon from Calgary, another biker we know, was just leaving the store. He had hooked up with the two other bikers we had met earlier in the day. Small world.

Oct 27
Spent the day prepping the bikes some more. I changed the front tire on my bike from an Anakee to a Dunlop D606. I wanted something a bit more aggressive upfront to keep the bike from washing out in the sand and dirt. Tim finally replaced the broken and bend windshield bracket bit (vandals in Russia).

A few days previous while riding the road from Indio to Slab City which has a series of short rolling hills and I noticed my rear suspension seemed to be spongier than I remember on the last trip. It bothered me a bit but I recently upgraded the front forks I thought perhaps I was just now realizing the stock rear shock (in comparison) wasn't great to begin with. The other possibility was the shock was nearing the end of it's life and could completely go at anytime. The more I thought about it the more it concerned me. Murphy's Law says it would blow out completely and leave me a in bad spot. The prospect of shipping a shock to Mexico or Central America didn't really appeal to me so I decided to try to find a good used stocker or a shop that had F800GS aftermarket shocks in stock. I was lucky enough to find Trout, a fellow ADVrider, in SoCal with a new Ohlins unit for sale. The shock set-up specs looked real close to what I needed. We had JUST missed the Fed Ex and UPS cut off for shipping the shock from LA to San Diego next day so Tony offered to ride half way and meet Tim and I with the shock. After a quick ride to San Clemente, we were back at the hotel and had the shock installed in a bout 45mins.

Tomorrow, we ride into Mexico.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PA-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 10-30-2010 at 03:45 PM
Camel ADV is online now   Reply With Quote