View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #51
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
We were all whipped today from getting up so early to catch flights. Gino slept on every flight:

Everyone got into Grand Junction at varying times and met up with Tom at the Motel where we hastily put on the front wheels of the bikes and found our gear bags and headed out. We road at an area just out of town that the locals consider the "crappy" place and of course we were in heaven.

Here's Flanny ripping up one of the hills:

For the guys that hadn't ridden the west these hills looked unclimbable but within an hour everyone was just ripping up this stuff. Steep!

We also had our first mechanical; Johns 390 Husaberg wouldn't start. We tore it open and looked for blown fuses and pulled apart wires but couldn't figure out why it just cranked and cranked but wouldn't fire. Someone came up with the idea of jumping the bike anyway so we cut the end off John's battery tender lead and held the bare wires to Flanny's battery and, boom, the bike started right up. The lesson here is bikes with EFI and no kick should have very good batteries.

Back at the motel we had a few hours to kill before Clippers flight landed and we had our first dinner so that time was used to address bike concerns.

Tom installs a new clutch slave:

Note the beers on ground there.

It's getting darker.

Here Flanny helps John undo all my help. We learned an important lesson - do not trust me to work on your bike after I've had a few beers. I installed Johns damper and basically I over tightened the steering stem, didn't tighten the triple clamps but did tighten the bars with the levers pointing straight down...

No drinking and wrenching for me.

Tomorrow is Halloween and we ride Rabbit Valley.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote