Thread: Pablo's DR350
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #50
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Front brakes

Before buying the DR I reviewed a bunch of parts prices for various bikes. The DR seemed to have reasonable OEM parts prices which is one of many reasons that I chose it.

One of the first parts I needed to replace was the front rotor, which turns out to be stupid expensive (I think it was $180). I found a floating EBC rotor from ProCycle for $160 so I got it instead. It turns out this is an MX oversized rotor. The info on the website did not state that it was an oversized rotor, but I could have easily discovered that with a little more research. I'm a little put off that ProCycle did not mention that, but it's mainly my fault [NOTE: I think ProCycle is a great site and I would definitely recommend them and buy from them again, I'd just do more research first]. For future reference, the stock rotor size is 250mm, the EBC MX rotor is 280, ProCycle also offers a 320mm supermoto rotor.

Stock rotor compared to EBC oversized:

The reason I would prefer the stock size is I don't ride asphalt much and I often end up riding through boulder fields so I'd like to keep the rotor as far away from the rocks as possible. The MX rotor kit comes with a new bracket to relocate the caliper. The installation is straightforward and the parts seem to be of good quality.

Here it is installed:

I've had other rotors crack due to seized caliper pots or pins. I could not find anything wrong with the operation of the caliper so I cleaned up the old rotor real good to inspect the cracks. After cleaning them up, it turns out the cracks are not cracks, but just some anomalies in the metal; I assume this is part of the manufacturing process. So the stock rotor is going to go back on and this MX kit will get shelved.

Pablo83 screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 02:04 PM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote