View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Talking Double your pleasure, double your fun....

I changed my DR over to TKCs shortly after I got it, they were pretty good up here in New England for how I used the bike (70/30 ?). When I took the bike down to Florida for winter use (98/2) the coarse pavement really chewed up the rear. I found an inmate who had a set of ProCycle Supermoto wheels/tires that his wife did not fall in love with and made them my "winter wear". They are both 17s, which for me make the handling a little too quick (not the bikes fault, I am old and like to check out the water around every bridge I cross). I have lowered the rear of the bike (factory method) but left the front stock to compensate. When I change back to the 21/17 summer wheels I drop the clamps about an inch on the fork tubes to "level things out".
If I were getting a new set of SM wheels, I would probably go for a 19/17 combination. Certainly less tire choices but the less agressive geometry is a better fit for my needs (and to me looks "better", did I mention that I am old?). This combination of wheels and tires is working out fine for me, short of damage I am not likely to get any more or different wheels - tires, well who knows?
I do have a new T-63 waiting to go on the back for next summer, they suposedly wear a bit longer than the TKCs and that center worn TKC on there now doesn't give me much confidence when I find any mud.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote