View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
cjracer OP
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
OCT 2009.

I've had a chance to look over both the Honda and KTM owners Manuals for the Christini systems that were sent to me by Steve. Really trying to figure out how these parts could fit in the the 950 was going to be interesting. We have a bank of carbs on top, 2 cylinders, and a need for a custom tank.

Jeepboy's 950 "Fire" bike came up on an online auction that I stumbled across. I kept on eye on that for a few weeks and when the day came I started to bid. Eventually I won it, so that cold WI weekend I headed down to Iowa to pick it up. It was like bringing an injured family dog back into the house to be cared for. I now had an extra 950 ADV to work off of and 1 extra frame. The 950 ADV is an 04' S, so it's tall w/ long suspension, perfect as I wanted to upgrade my 06' S as it was.

I had a doner bike and parts, the skills and equipment to get this built, I hoped, and a big part, the "OK" from Katie to let me give this a go.

Now I needed to let Steve know I was serious and ready to give this a go. Crossed my fingers and hoped he'd let me buy just parts. I wasn't so lucky last year. I think he was a bit apprehensive about my goals and application, but over the year of either my nagging or persistence, his mind changed.

I placed an order in Nov 2009 and soon after a big box showed up.

It was like Christmas came early. Looking at all the billet front suspension parts and being able to hold the parts in my hands was a big step.
"Here it is, take a deep breath, now get to it!"

A few days later we got hit w/ this:

Not much riding being done around here anymore, but lots of time to think of crazy stuff to build.

I started to strip down the 04' 950 ADV to get a better look at all the frame fitment "issues" that I'll need to work on.

The next few months were spent prepping my 06' 950 for our trip to Mexico, building parts for that bike to keep it going strong. All the while jotting down notes and ideas in a sketch book Katie got me for my Birthday. That was a huge help keeping my ideas straight and I jotted down anything that popped into my mind.

cjracer screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 09:40 PM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote