View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #222
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat
Jenny, one question.
What effect do the 35w headlight, the HID, the fan, and all the other electrics (running at the same time) have on the charging system of the battery.

As an example, the HID system needs a good 7amps @12-13V to ignite and get warm, thereafter only 3amps. Together with the above mentioned stuff, this may cause problems with charging the battery, thus meaning no electric start!

PS: I assume you've got a larger capacity battery installed (stock one is only 4Ah)?
Hi Tony - yes, I believe that was basically the problem Neil had in Dos Sertoes...

The battery in my bike is a Yuasa YTZ7S - so presumably 7 amp hours?*

Sticking a meter on my battery, it seems to drop to about 12.3V when everything is switched on (Nav, fan and HID) - but goes up to about 12.8V if you raise the revs... you probably know more than me, but the guys at Trail Tech seemed to think their stator would be fine to run the HID and the fan, and keep the battery topped up?

A few posts back Spick mentioned he runs an HID with the stock battery (admittedly not a fan too) - but hopefully there won't be too many times I'm going to need both (unless I'm stuck all night in the dunes!)

J x

I had a look, it says 6Ah...

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 11-14-2010 at 01:50 PM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote