View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,793
Very complicated explanation and didn't feel like reading trough the whole thing.....is clean filtered air actually injected into the exhaust at any given time? If so, then yes the bike has a secondary air injection system. If not, then no it doesn't. If all gases/fumes for the "secondary" system on the F8 are drawn from the crankcase to the airbox, then it is not technically a "Secondary Air Injection" system. The term and definition cannot be fudged. It either is or isn't a secondary air injection system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

Secondary air injection (commonly known as air injection, or colloquially smog pump) is a vehicle emissions control strategy introduced in 1966, wherein fresh air is injected into the exhaust stream to allow for a fuller combustion of exhaust gases. An implementation of the system has been trademarked by the name Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.).

PS, I don't believe that using the Booster Plug will richen the AFR of this bike so much so that "emissions will go to hell and deposits will build up in the combustion chamber as well as in the exhaust and of course, the O2 sensor will plug."

The Booster Plug doesn't richen it that much. In fact it only richens it an average of 6% across the RPM range. This will make those of us that are running a higher flowing air filter and higher flowing exhaust experience an AFR that we originally experienced when the bike was in stock form. Also, it will make the engine run cooler and last longer. The ECU simply cannot readjust/remap far enough to account for and K&N or Uni and a high-flowing aftermarket exhaust. Again, I've been experiencing it on my bike for 1.5 years after installing the Uni and Leo Vince: surging, more snatchy throttle, pop pop pop on decel and shift, engine running hotter, etc. All of which weren't happening in stock form.... That is the truth. And no, it's not that I wasn't hearing the popping because the stock exhaust masked it. It simply wasn't doing it before.

I'm getting the Booster Plug because I want to run a Uni oil foam air filter and the Leo Vince Carbon exhaust.

Just read all of the posts of the happy costomers who installed the Booster Plug or Accelerator Module.

The Griz screwed with this post 11-15-2010 at 12:19 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote