View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #240
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Thanks for the link (and the PM) Tony, and your concern and knowledge! Fortunately, I think I've got it sorted - and the guys at Trail Tech weren't bluffing after all...

I refitted the HID loom this afternoon (without the tell-tale lamp) and fired up the bike... with the choke on (so around 3000rpm), I was getting 13.8V at the battery terminals with the stock 35w headlight on, 13.56V with the stock headlight and HID on, and 13.26V with the headlight, HID and Fan (plus the Nav gear) running... all good stable voltage readings too.

Even at tickover (with the choke off) I was getting 12.8V steady with everything running, and raising the revs it was well into the 13.5V zone...

A proper road-test will confirm tomorrow, but I'm confident there is enough power from the Trail Tech stator to keep the battery charging while the all gear is running - and as I mentioned previously, the HID and fan are independently switchable, so I can turn them on and off as required - it should be rare I'll need them all on at the same time anyway...

I've also had more good news regarding sponsorship - no major sponsor (to cover my service assistance costs), but I've got a cost price deal on a new Arai helmet plus a load of service consumables - TwinAir filters, oil filters and chain guide and slippers, oh and some spare fork seals just incase... thanks to the UK importer Apico.

I've also had a fantastic 11th hour offer from a dealer who can provide me with spare drive chains and sprockets, and has negotiated on my behalf all the engine oil I'm going to need from Putoline - so that is pretty much my service consumables covered now - all I need is a load of tyres!

I've also had confirmation from Dirty Dog that they can supply me with some really tasty sunglasses to be included in the supporters packs - these are great glasses on or off the bike, they have unbreakable polarized lenses and great eye coverage (without looking like Bono!). I've used them all over the USA, and racing on both Heroes-Legend and in Tunisia, only requiring goggles on the really dusty days... I think you guys are going to love them!

Kriega have also sprung for some really nice wallets, which double as a compact tool pouch - again photos to follow, but these are just the coolest piece of kit for your bumbag, tailpack or even a jacket pocket.

Alpinestars have also provided some really nice baseball caps (along with some new boots for me) for you all, so the packs are really coming together now and should offer real value for money, with products that I genuinely endorse and have used for years...

I'm hoping to get a few more bits to include, plus there will of course be a limited edition T-shirt with all the sponsors logos on...

Toot toot for now!

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote