View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Upper chain roller:

I didn't much believe that the Suzuki engineers could make this mistake, so I had ignored mine. But I wanted a roller bearing one. While installing the new lower roller, I was surprised that, after cleaning, the original roller showed zero wear after 15,000 miles, other than abrasion; but the upper roller had chain grooves worn in it. WTF, the lower roller does all the work, doesn't it?

So, I reinstalled the stock upper and new lower roller; but now I'm watching the upper closely. After a bit, I start noticing that, under G-load compressions (not the hard dirt hits, the highspeed highway dips), I thought that I was feeling a 'growl' under compression; only once or twice a ride, so easy to forget about. Hmmmmm, I wonder if that's the upper roller?? So, I took it off. That was several hundred miles ago, and I think that was the problem. Season is over, so I won't know for sure til next year. :(

Another potential upper roller issue: I originally planned on replacing it with a roller bearing, but they're a larger diameter; which would increase the interference.

Note: I was running a 15T front sprocket (stock 41 rear) for most of the mileage (when the groves were cut), but I noticed the 'growl' after installing a 16T, raising the chain toward that roller.

Edited to add MotoScooter's pic:

If you want to keep the upper roller:
Gramp's Roller:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...+reinforcement

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -

ER70S-2 screwed with this post 12-06-2011 at 04:48 PM
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote