View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
DougZ73 OP
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
OK, continuing on with the RR. The second day of the trip, Saturday, we woke up at the Super 8 hotel in Front Royal, VA. After quickly getting cleaned up for the day, gathering of the gear and having the typical crappy continental breakfast, we decided to get on the road. Again, it was a cold morning, but we were prepared for it.

Sidenote: I forgot to mention, that on Saturday, when we rode down, we left in pretty chilly temps, and were all geared up. Less than a couple hours later, when we were off the highway and in MD, we stopped for the first gas break..or was it just a break break. Anyway, the weather had gotten considerably warmer. Off came the neck gaiters, the heated vest, and even the jacket liner. I even switched from the cold weather gloves to the "normal" weather gloves.

Back to the morning at the Super 8 hotel: As we were sitting there, getting ourselves and
the bikes ready, we saw a Harley rider, who must be riding in the area as well, and also stayed at the hotel. For what ever reason, he took off his saddle bags and simply threw them in the nearest dumpster. Jeff and I had no idea why. I have a secret theory that we he saw our awesome luggage set ups, he realized how inferior his set up was. LOL.
* Big props to Wolfman Luggage(dry duffle), and JC Whitney knock off Givi case…..they both served me well this trip.

Anyway, back to the pics...some of the pics anyway.

Hotel shot of the bikes next morning:

Now, Skyine Drive just about starts right in Front Royal. This was from our first stop, right after we got on Skyline Drive. With 125 miles and plenty of stops to make and views to see, we did not even get off bikes for this one.

Picture of Jeff taking some pictures.

We rode on a little further, always cognizant of the 35 MPH speed limit, and rangers driving the road watching for speeders. We tried to keep it under 40…..well, OK, 50 MPH…..but even that was hard to do…..until we did happen to see a ranger drive past in the opposite direction and give us the international, " slow down or get a ticket" hand motion. We obliged.

Jeff and I actually met, the 2nd time, at a track day. We both started out slow, got faster through the seasons, and have since slowed back down. Although that road calls for the inner "Ricky Racer" to come alive, we were fine keeping the speeds down and enjoying the ride and views…the point of this road trip.

Second stop, along the way. Some more pics.

Jeff shot:

Not sure why we even stopped here?? Probably to let a slow car of tourists get pretty far out ahead of us.

Then onto the third stop along the way. I am realizing as I am going through this, it's hard to tell the exact timing of everything. Complicated a slight bit by the fact that Jeff and I downloaded each of our pics each night, and merging them in at the correct time is becoming interesting.

Found some of that nice Orange leaves changing color stuff.

Jeff setting up his tripod. Nice, cheap little unit. I bought one as soon as I got back home. Targus

Me trying to take an "artsy ADV" shot with bike and landscape in shot.

Interesting sign at the area we stopped at.

Some of Jeff's shots at the same stop:

Shot of me giving the thumbs up..not sure why at that point. LOL.

OK, and onto another stop..the highest point in elevation, along Skyline Drive.

Skyland:

Now, I brought my Go Pro Hero camera ,with me. I have seen people use it and get some cool shots while riding with. I used the " shot every five seconds" feature for this trip. I had started out with it mounted to the tank, and behind the wind screen. Sadly, although I packed really well for this trip, the one thing I forgot was, a little bottle of visor cleaner and a rag, that I almost always take with me. After this stop and seeing all the deceased buggers on my windscreen, I had decided I wanted the camera on my helmet instead.

I have used the Go Pro for doing some offroad riding video, and have a dedicated sticky mount on my dual sporting helmet. I have not yet stuck any of the mounts, on my street bike helmets. So, the suction cup mount was gonna be it. Worked out well, as you will see later. The suction cup was very strong, and help great, even up to 70 MPH..although the set up would start making me feel the wind resistance around 55.

Makes no wonder why I was getting all those weird looks from passing cars.

That's it for tonight….getting late. Still a lot more pics and RR to come. I still have to sort through about 3000 Go Pro shots….which maybe 20-30 will be worthy of posting. Thanks for the interest of anyone reading…..I appreciate it.

DougZ73 screwed with this post 11-20-2010 at 05:31 AM
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote