View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #255
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,145
Hi Balazs -

Good question (not that I don't know the answer, rather other people may be interested too!)...

Regarding spares and tools, basically I intend to carry the minimum that will get you going again, should anything fail or break - as long as I can limp back to the Bivouac each night, then the bike can be sorted properly there where I've got a full set of spares.

I have a small Kriega Cube 1 bag (got to plug the sponsors!) as a tail pack behind my rear tank, which worked very well in Tunisia... and which contains my tool roll (a Kriega Stash wallet, which doubles as a great compact tool and spare bits and bobs bag - and will be yours as part of my supporters packs!) which has various tools, plus fuses and spare IMO wheel magnet and a chain link in.

The tail bag will also have front brake and clutch levers, gear lever and a spare plug and plug spanner. I've also got a spare coil pack (combined ignition coil and plug-cap that the WR uses), as I recall Tony Schattat mentioned Helder Rodrigues had a problem with his in Abu Dhabi this year (I guess they can get really hot and melt?) so I bought one as a precaution before Tunisia.

I also have a small tin with cable repair inner cables, odd nuts, bolts and washers (should anything fall out), plus electrical wire and more fuses.

A tube of Quick Steel, roll of gaff tape and electrical tape, plus a length of 1" webbing strap to use as a tow rope/lashing etc. Oh, and a handful of smaller zie-ties.

I'll also carry a pair of tyre irons (the Motion Pro ones with the wheel nut ring spanners for front and rear axles) and some heavy duty zip-ties lashed to the bike - probably in the slot in the left hand tank which is what I did in Tunisia - they are out the way, but easy access.

I also intend to get a compact chain tool and a pair of jump-leads, which I trust won't be necessary, but you never know.

Got to fly now - last minute prep at Patsy's this morning, and I hope to have some photos of the finished bike for you all later!

Toot toot!

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote